Podcasts: The Struggle is Real
I am newbie to the podcast universe, and so I set a Google Alert for podcast related topics so I can learn more about what I've clearly been missing. The article that caught my eye this week comes from Digiday. It's titled, "In an era of video, podcasts struggle to break through on social media".
The author focuses on the platform of social media, and the great exposure anyone on social media has to video and/or live video. The default format of video on social media is mute, but naturally, podcasts are all about sound. Podcast teams have developed a strategy to convert their audio clips into short video clips in order to promote their podcasts. Podcasters have also taken to posting behind-the-scenes recordings of their work. The sources quoted in the article discuss their podcasts being downloaded more often and reaching a larger audience due to their growth on social media.
So what does this have to do with me teaching ESL and the topic of my blog? Well....being that I am on social media, I am exposed to video and these new podcast videos. I'm hoping that my new found interest in podcasts will provide me with a variety of material and sources to use in my ESL classroom as well as my current Spanish classroom. Stay tuned for (hopefully) more updates on my journey through the podcast universe.
Sangal, A. (2018)In an era of video, podcasts struggle to break through on social media. Digiday. Retrieved from https://digiday.com/media/era-video-podcasts-challenged-break-social-media/
The author focuses on the platform of social media, and the great exposure anyone on social media has to video and/or live video. The default format of video on social media is mute, but naturally, podcasts are all about sound. Podcast teams have developed a strategy to convert their audio clips into short video clips in order to promote their podcasts. Podcasters have also taken to posting behind-the-scenes recordings of their work. The sources quoted in the article discuss their podcasts being downloaded more often and reaching a larger audience due to their growth on social media.
So what does this have to do with me teaching ESL and the topic of my blog? Well....being that I am on social media, I am exposed to video and these new podcast videos. I'm hoping that my new found interest in podcasts will provide me with a variety of material and sources to use in my ESL classroom as well as my current Spanish classroom. Stay tuned for (hopefully) more updates on my journey through the podcast universe.
Sangal, A. (2018)In an era of video, podcasts struggle to break through on social media. Digiday. Retrieved from https://digiday.com/media/era-video-podcasts-challenged-break-social-media/
Podcasts are a great way to engage students in learning, especially with L2s. I like to send my students podcasts to their email address. From there, they have the ability to listen to it at their own pace, pausing and taking notes when necessary.
ReplyDeleteIf you feel like podcasting is something you would like to try, I would also encourage you to add Screencasting to your Google Alerts. This is another technology tool that is really useful for teaching students how to do something on the computer, such as teaching them to create their own podcast.
Thanks for sharing this resource. I am not a digital native and your blog gives me hope that I will become more comfortable with the process. I see a couple of podcasts on social media. Twitter is a great tool for staying abreast of relevant topics for professional development. I will be looking for podcasts to help me with my own professional development. My interest is in working with adult ELs at the community college level. Podcasts may be a great way to engage them in their own learning. Being new to podcasts, I'll learn along with them.
ReplyDelete